Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pastel Painting Using the Same Reference Photo

When I was painting with oils yesterday I couldn't stop thinking how the painting would look using pastels.  Today I found out.  Although it has been a while since I had my sticks out, it felt good to get my fingers dusty again.  I think I will be able to go back and forth using pastels or oils, depending on my preference that day.

I wanted to keep a loose feeling to the painting.  Not too much detail.  I think my oil paintings are looser than my pastel paintings, but this is a step in the right direction.  There is a thread over in the Pastel Talk forum at WetCanvas about finding your style.  I have always said that I am waiting for my style to find me.  It may sound corny, but that is how I feel.  I don't think you can consciously pick your style without it looking forced.  When you start painting using the right side of your brain, painting in the zone, that is when your style emerges.  That's my theory and it's my blog so I can say what I want (hehe).

This is painted on 5 x 7 Belgium Mist Wallis sanded paper using a variety of soft pastels including Terry Ludwig, Mount Vision and Unison.  It took me about two hours.  Thanks for looking.

#38



Doug Wasilieff

4 comments:

  1. Looking good Doug! You're really are on a roll, up to #38 already. I've never done this type of challenge, though I've tried. Somehow life gets in the way on me. I keep saying when things slow down I'll get to do it, but it never seems to happen. Geez..... I know you will benefit from this, it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can;t believe it's number 38 already. The time has flown by so quickly. Once you get going, you don't want to stop. Thanks for the encouragement, Chris.

      Delete
  2. I love the simplicity of this. It has an abstract feel to it.

    Hawaiian Paintings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things Larry said to do is simplify. Take a scene and break it down to abstract shapes. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Aiesha.

      Delete