Monday, April 30, 2012

Back to Basics

I had to take some time out to clean up my messy studio.  It looked like a bomb hit and there were things spread out all over the room.  It was getting to the point that I didn't know where anything was, so I decided to put all my energy into cleaning up and organizing my supplies.  I now enjoy walking into "my space."  It is MY little part of the house where I can create anything I want and be by myself.  I find it easier to be creative if no else is around distracting me.

The rain was coming down in buckets today, which put a kink in my plans to go scouting painting spots and taking some photos now that most of the trees have leaves on them.  Hopefully it will clear up for tomorrow, because I NEED more landscape photos.  It seems like the more I paint, the more I don't like using photos that other people take.  Maybe I can connect to my own photos because I have been to the place I am painting.

It has been a few days since I last painted, so I thought I would keep things simple.  I haven't painted a pear for a while, so I grabbed a pear and my gouache and painted.  It isn't the most exciting painting, but I painted and it felt good.

This is painted on 5 x 7 cold press water color paper, primed with Rich Beige Art Spectrum Colourfix Primer.  I could use this as an under painting and put pastel on top.  Hmmm.... maybe I will just do that.  If I do, I will post the results.

As always, thanks for looking.  I will share a couple of photos of my nice clean studio.  It won't stay that way for long.

#27

My pastels

The working area

The view from the drawing table

It's a wonder that I get anything done.  I could look out the window all day long.  If I go over to the left side of the table, there is a view of Shuswap Lake.  If I ever need motivation to learn how to paint landscapes all I have to do is look outside.  I will share more photos when the weather gets nicer.

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment