Thursday, April 5, 2012

Standing Tall

It took two days, off and on, to paint this and I always struggle when it takes longer than a day to finish a small painting.  I don't know if I lose my vision or I lose interest, but I have noticed the one day paintings seem fresher.  I can't use pain as an excuse or I will never paint.  Pastel paintings take longer than gouache, so maybe I have to look at gouache more seriously and paint in pastel only when I am having a good day.  The problem is, I never know when the good days are coming.  Oh well, I know things could be worse.

This is a 5 x 7 pastel painting done on Belgium Mist Wallis sanded paper, painted with a variety of soft pastels and Pan Pastels.  The photo reference is from the Wet Canvas RIL.  The sky and tree were mostly done on the first day and the grass and path on the second day and I like the first days work the most.  I remembered sky holes this time, so all is not lost.

#18


Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment