Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Gouache Pear

I don't know the reason, but after I do a few pastel paintings, I get this urge to paint with wet paint.  I thought I would bring out the gouache paint and paint my favorite subject, a pear.  I used a split complementary palette that consisted of lemon yellow, ultramarine, magenta and white Daler Rowney gouache paint.  Most of it is done with fairly thick paint.

It was interesting to see all the different greens I came up with.  I tried to remember what Larry said about "a stroke laid, is a stroke stayed" (I think that was the mantra lol) meaning once you put the stroke of paint onto the paper, just leave it and move on to the next stroke.  I also tried to remember to reload the brush every stroke or two.  I enjoyed the challenge.

Anyway, thanks for looking.


#5


Doug

2 comments:

  1. Cool pear! I like the magenta tint background, very simple and powerful. Beautiful greens! That's a good basic palette. I've used it in watercolor, may have to try it in gouache too. Way cool the way you painted this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the palette, because it produced some nice vibrant colors. That cloth really is that color. I have a lot of scrap pieces of cloth from my wife's sewing days. They come in handy.

    ReplyDelete