Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pans Over Gouache

That title sounds like something you would order for breakfast at Denny's.  It just describes how I did this painting.  I have wanted to try the Pan Pastel/ gouache combination for a while and I am glad I did.  The Pastelmat soaked up the gouache nicely and the Pans went on top without noticing any loss of tooth.  I really like the painterly look and I will be doing more paintings with this combo in the near future.

This is another 5 x 7 painting and it took about half an hour.  As you can see, I stayed over at the yellow/ green area of the color wheel which gives some harmony to the painting.  I stopped myself from putting blue in the sky.  Old habits are hard to break.

The photo reference is from the RIL at WetCanvas.com.

#15






Doug


2 comments:

  1. Mmm stir that right up! Pans over Gouache does sound like some kind of yummy Denny's breakfast. I love the color harmony you created with that limited palette range. Thank you for stopping yourself from using blue in the sky - the yellow sky reads beautiful, like a misty overcast day with a lot of reflected light.

    This came out so beautiful it stands with your best. Definitely one of your best. My only suggestion would be to leave some sky holes next time - something I keep forgetting to do too, so don't beat yourself up for that. I love it as it is, so clean and simple and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Make mine over easy and I'll have a side of bacon with it. Canadian bacon of course."

    Thanks for the kind words, Rob. It just goes to show you that you don't have to spends a lot of time for something to turn out. And of course it needs sky holes. Oh well. Next time.

    ReplyDelete